Sunday, December 11, 2016

Pa-RUM-pa-pum-pum

This week's Advent is Rejoice.

"Why is the rum always gone?" -Captain Jack Sparrow

I was so totally going to save this recipe for next week's Advent, which is Joy but golly, it's just too good not to share and besides this is the beginning of the time people go to and throw festive holiday parties to which are almost always potluck. So here is our recipe for the reason we both gained 5lbs in the month of December alone in 2015.
Okay, okay... gosh. It's true. Yes. We *may* have even made two batches last year. But to be fair, it was a particularly difficult season for both of us. And by difficult, I mean it was bloody hell. But you can come hear me speak on that at Mudrooms next year. You know, if you wanna.

Sure, you can go out and buy a tub of this crap.
 Or even this faux grossness in a carton package.

But why? Seriously, this recipe is the shizzz... 

While purists can drink theirs like this,

 I stand by my 5lbs. But I would like to try this sometime, if anyone wants to invite me over. (hint, hint) I'm great at parties.










One thing that's great about this recipe below is that the kiddies and those on the wagon can partake. Simply leave out the rum. I'm told it's delicious but to be honest I hven't ever tried it because rum and I are pretty good friends. But I have tasted it with a spoon directly from the mixer. And the freezer also. Yeah, 5lbs.

I use cheap ingredients until it comes to the rum. On that I don't skimp. But be sure to use actual butter and not margarine. This isn't hot buttered plastic  margarine, folks. Use the real deal.

Hot Buttered Rum Mix
1 pound brown sugar
1 pound powdered sugar
1 pound butter
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
1 tsp each: cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon
Mix all together and store in freezer until ready to use.

How to serve
Use 1 ice cream scoopful and plop mix into serving mug
Pour in boiling water
Add in desired amount of shots of rum (teetotalers omit rum)
Stir and Rejoice


Indecently, I feel a great obligation to tell all y'all that National Hot Buttered Rum Day is January 17th. I didn't make it up, I swear. Those wonderful people who make the internet told me so.

No comments: